Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I have no tail to wag...


"If I had to tell you why I'm a painter and why I spread paint on a canvas,
I should say:  I paint because I have no tail to wag."

"It's very simple.  Dogs and cats and other talented animals have tails; their tails, with their thousands of flourishes provide them with a wonderfully complete language of arabesques, not only for what they think and feel and suffer but for every mood and vibration of their being, for every infinitesimal variation in their feeling tone.  We have no tails, and since the more lively among us need some such form of expression, we make ourselves paintbrushes and pianos, and violins..."
from  Rosshalde by Herman Hesse

I love Herman Hesse and used to read
his books back in college.  
I came across this quote I had copied from Rosshalde
many years ago.
Then I decided I needed a visual.
Poor Zoe could not figure out why I wanted to take a photo
of her stubby tail; 
she does not realize that she has no tail.  
She wags it anyway to express any mood she wants.  
And then there is Matteo who uses his tail to balance
as in the above photo
or to express mood - usually as in anger - "leave me alone"
or "please birdie come here".

So here is my attempt at tail wagging this week.
Art Fest is coming quickly so I started painting manilla folders...
which I then cut up to make trades to give away 
to others at the event.
I think they will become notepads with old college ruled paper sewn on
and the words "once upon the time"
(as this is the theme) stamped.
I will let you see the process as it evolves.
And my other tail wagging involves this project -
a first grade auction project for the class I work in during school hours.
I found this great old door and painted the background.
So now the kiddos get to make airplanes, houses, buildings, people,
 cars, animals etc. out of their beautifully painted papers.
The theme will be 'a community of hope'
as we are now studying community helpers.
I will let you come along for the ride.

Hope you have a great week of tailwagging.
What are you working on?
I would love to know.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice post! You're very talented! I love the colours! May it'd be a nice idea having a tail....I've never thought about it!!!
    Hope you're feeling better!
    Thanks for your words!
    Take care!
    Vale

    ReplyDelete