Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Silhouette project on wood -sure to elicit a huge grin!

Truth be told,
I love making gifts and feel slighted if I don't.
This was the only craft gift made this year 
and I couldn't wait,
but told my son and daughter-in-law to open it tonight
so they could hang it on their tree and enjoy it before Christmas.
 I first bought a wood round at Michaels,
then stole this photo of my son and granddaughter Sophia
from Instagram.
I glimpsed that profile and thought it would be the perfect silhouette.
 Next I enlarged it until I got the right size,
then I tried drawing over it with marker,
and cut it out with sharp scissors and an xacto knife.
 I put the silhouette under frisket
and again cut through it along the silhouette.
 Then I peeled off the frisket backing 
and stuck her beautiful face to the wood round.
Then the fun part was next;
I stenciled black acrylic paint over her sweet face,
removed the frisket carefully,
drilled a hole,
tied red gingham ribbon,
put it in the mail,
 and shipped it all the way across the country.
And of course I forgot to take a photo of the finished piece.
The kids were nice enough to take a picture and send me a photo 
 with the model in the background.
Wouldn't this be a fun project to do every year and add to the tree
with the recipient's age on the back?
Now I just need to remember this idea...

2 comments: