Sunday, February 20, 2011

a Sunday blessing in a bottle cap


it is what it is...
for some reason I just love saying this little phrase -
it rolls off my tongue...
and for some reason my husband hates it.
so I had to present him with this bottle cap pin
and he keeps it on the counter by the espresso machine...
maybe a little caffeine helps him deal with those things
that are what they are.
I guess it depends on how you view it -
as a defeat or as a call to arms -
I think it is a call to rally - 
"now given this current lousy situation - 
what am I going to do about it?"
because we all know this world
can be a lousy place to live sometimes.

I guess I think of:
Don't worry about anything; 
instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, 
and thank him for all he has done.
Phil 4:6 NLT
Well at least that is what I hope I do,
but more often it is some grumbling and complaining
that escapes my lips.
But I just love knowing that God wants to hear it all -
the good with the bad because

He is what He is!



5 comments:

  1. What a great post! I love this "It is what it is" That is also one of my sayings. What are you going to do about it?? You can change it or except it... What do you choose?? Love that. And I believe your husband seems to like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words! My son says this all the time. It never bothered me as much as the "I know, right?" that I hear everyone saying, but it's not something that I say. I think it's a nice phrase though, full of acceptance of life on life's terms

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post. I, like you, tend to say it all the time. But especially liked your reminder that we are grateful in all circumstances, even those we cannot change. God is faithful to change US inside the circumstances. Thanks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such an inspiring blog! I've passed along a Stylish Blogger Award to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I'm not a religious person, although I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian family and am familiar with most of the ins and outs of that particular religion.

    But I absolutely LOVE the way you put it: "He is what he is" -- which if I am interpreting this correctly means that God may have a different meaning for each and every one of us. My understanding of God doesn't necessarily need to match your understanding of God... My God can be a tree -- your God can reside in your heart or the heavens.

    But for a moment -- excluding the ultimatum between heaven and hell; who cares -- as long as we are kind and compassionate towards others. Personally I think God resides between our ears -- and of course the Devil, so to speak, is in there too so I guess that's why we have been given rules. Don't know if any of that makes sense but I thought I would say it anyway.

    ReplyDelete